Monday, March 23, 2015

Circle Time Activities


Circle Time or Círculo

Circle Time is one of my favorite parts of the day, because it is here that I have the opportunity to give direct instruction on the target vocabulary. The repetition and routine that comes with circle time makes the children feel comfortable and master enough vocabulary quickly to participate and gain confidence in learning a second language.  Little by little I incorporate something new into the circle time routine; for example: describing in Spanish what the children are wearing and having them guess who am I talking about; or have the meeting assistant dictate a message for the day and we make a paper chain that becomes longer as the days pass.
A regular circle time goes like this: we start by greeting everybody by name, check who came to school, do our calendar and check the weather. After this I break it up by doing some kind of moment activity or song, and then we move onto learning the target vocabulary for that day through games, more songs, or provocation activities, which will inform the guiding questions around science topics. 

















Kai meassuring his bean sprouts with unifix cubes. We compared the sizes and made graphs to show our results. 
At the beginning of the year we were getting to know each other, so every day during circle time I had a question of the day, and I incorporated math by graphing their answers. 


























No comments:

Post a Comment